Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 1995 00:05:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@txdirect.net>
To:        James Ryan <jryan@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pop mail

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, James Ryan wrote:

> I know that qpopper is the pop mail server, but is
> there a pop mail client that can connect to a
> server?
>
> thanks,
> 	jryan@vt.edu

get popclient from the /pub/linux/sunsite/system/[mail]? directory on
ftp.cdrom.com.  It compile out of the box and works great for me.  I've
set cron to run it once an hour to retrieve my mail.

Since this is the 2nd or 3rd time someone has asked this I see that quite
a few people, besides myself, have a need for it.  As soon as I finish this
message I'll do a port of it.  Hopefully, It'll go better than my first
port attempts: tcl-7.4&tk-4.0.

BTW, here is a small script that I use to get the mail:

############ BEGIN INCLUDED SCRIPT ############

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/ping -c 2 mailhost
/usr/local/bin/popclient -3 -u user -p pword -o /var/mail/user mailhost

############ END INCLUDED SCRIPT ##############

user is you, pword is your password, mailhost is where your mail is.
I use the ping to get iij-ppp out of bed even though I have a static IP.
If I dont use ping to wake iij-ppp up popclient will often timeout before
iij-ppp finishes breakfast and gets to work.  You may also notice that
the script appends new mail to your local INBOX in /var/mail instead of
using mail to send it to you.  I found that if I didn't do this that all
mail ended up being  To: rsnow@txdirect.net  From: rsnow@txdirect.net
making it pretty hard to reply to.

Appending to the file is a BIG kludge since it doesn't do any file
locking and simply appends the new mail which causes many mail readers to
puke if they happen to be running when the new mail comes in.

I believe that that there may be a way to do this properly (sendmail?)
but haven't looked into it.

Oh, you may or may not need the -3 option, depending on your pop server.
popclient does both pop2(-2) and pop3(-3), my mail server just happens to
need pop3.

Good luck.

---
Rob Snow