Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 14:08:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        shamrock@netcom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating FreeBSD driver. How?

> > I got some National Semi's Hydra isoEthernet cards. Since I got more cards
> > than normal PCs, I have been thinking about sticking one into my FreeBSD
> > box. Of course I'd need a driver to get the iso part working. I got the iso
> > drivers for DOS that came with the card. The normal ethernet part of the
> > card can be standard NE2000. Of course if you use an NE2000 driver you are
> > missing out on the iso part. How do I go about creating a driver for
> > FreeBSD that will give full functionallity? Are there any faqs or other
> > tips? I searched the FreeBSD web site without avail.
>
> Is there a Novell Server (not Client!) ODI driver for the thing?
>
> The ODI driver stuff may be easy to hack, depending on the driver
> architecture.  Specifically, if it uses polling or a not-busy interrupt,
> then you are probably SOL and will need to write the driver from scratch.
>
> ISO by itself is meaningless (means International Standards Organization)
> as far as telling us what the card capabilities are.  It's probably just
> a manufacturer name.
I believe that thios card may impliment nat-semi's
ISOCHRONOUS ethernet.. (isoenet)
they use two unused states in the encoding of the data on the wire
to pass synchronous data (or something).. I don't pretend to understand
it exatly but did meet one of the engineers who worked on it
when I was on holidays in Greece :)