Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 15:09:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Vance <cvance@cfar.umd.edu>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Subject:   Re: Adaptech 1542 & 3Com 3c509 conflict?

On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >I seem to have some sort of conflict between my network interface and
> >scsi disks.  The scsi controller is an adaptech 1542CF and the eth
> >adapter is a 3c509.
>
> >Basically, the network is slow writing to a scsi disk, and fast the
> >rest of the time.  Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone suggest
> >something I could do to fix the situation?
>
> Perhaps the scsi disk is inherently slower for the type of work given
> to it by ftp.  This is not unlikely, since ftp's writes are poorly
> buffered and scsi disks often have a very high command overhead.

I don't think this is it at all.  As I mentioned, I've also run iozone
while ftping a huge file to /dev/null, and the iozone results are within
100kps of the normal speeds, however the network speed plummets to 200kps.
(normally ~500-600kps to /dev/null)

> The speed over ethernet (WD8013EBT) for ftp'ing a 15MB file to a slow
> scsi disk and to /dev/null were the same (about 440K/sec, probably
> limited by the slow IDE disk on the server).  This was faster than for
> ftp'ing from localhost and the same speed as cp'ing from the same file
> system in some cases (cases where the buffer cache cannot help and
> where clustering is apparently ineffective).

I just ftp'd to localhost, and got 745kps reading and writing to the same
scsi disk and 1.29MB/s writing to /dev/null.

I feel that it's definitely a conflict between the 3c509 and the adaptech.

If anyone needs additional info to help diagnose the problem, I'm
certainly willing to provide it.  I really want to find a solution to this
problem.

chris.