Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 11:47:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        bmk@dtr.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd SCSI errors

Thanks for explaining that.  Let me tell you about the circumstances
surrounding the error -

The error occured while elm was either trying to read the mail spool or
write a temporary mailbox in /tmp.  At first I thought it might be
a bad disk.

I fsck'ed the /tmp and /var filesystems from single user and the problem
went away.  It found a problem with /var/mail/bmk - but I don't recall
what it was.  The file was unlinked and all seems to be well now.

Unfortunately, I lost a couple of messages I was saving.  That's my
fault for leaving them in my mailbox.  :)

This is the first time I've lost any data - from a (probable)
non-hardware cause at lease.  I'd have to say that's a pretty good
record since I've been running FreeBSD since 1.1 on several machines.
To be fair, it's entirely possible that this is hardware related, since
I had a few panics/reboots due to bad L2 cache.

...Just another testimonial as to the reliability of FreeBSD...