Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 17:06:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        wei@fokus.gmd.de (Lu Wei)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation

> Hi,
>
> I installed the FreeBSD 2.05 on PC/486, but faced some problems.
> I will be grateful if someone can give me some ideas.
>
> P: "No root device found -- you must label a partition as /
>     in the label editor"
> Q: How to label it ?

It looks like you tried to boot from root.flp.

Did you produce the boot.flp?

Use (under DOS) rawrite.exe boot.flp (I believe it is self explaining
with regard to drive letter/number - don't know off memory).

After booting the boot.flp you will be offered an installation
menu. Go into partition and look if your partitions are ok.
The go into Label disk and define the FreeBSD partitions
on the respective slice including mount points (/, swap, evtl. /var, /usr/home
or whatever you like or have space for).

Define the dists, media etc., then Commit.