Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 1995 15:22:50 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install -- SCSI geometry incorrect (was OK before!)

>On Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:50:13 -0700, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.
>org> said:
>
>Justin> You should use the Adaptec translated geometry for the disc:
>Justin> (64 heads, 32 sectors/track, #MB on the drive cylinders)
>Justin> standard, (255,63, #MB/7) if you have extended translation
>Justin> enabled.  The best way to make this happen is to make a small
>Justin> dos partition on the disk that you can either leave or blow
>Justin> away during the FreeBSD install.  FreeBSD will pull the proper
>Justin> geometry out of the DOS partion so you don't have to enter it
>Justin> manually.
>
>Uh, how do I put a MS-DOG partition on if I'm only running FreeBSD?

Then you have to enter the numbers I gave you above manually.

>It's a Seagate ST31200N 1006MB, by the way, if anyone's got numbers
>handy.

You already have the numbers handy.  Your geometry is either 64/32/1006
or 255/63/143 depending on whether you have extended translation turned
on in SCSI-Select or not.

>PS: how does it `know' my geometry's bad? and why doesn't it tell me
>    the right geom if it's so smart? :-(

Its not smart enough to determine the correct geometry, but its easy to
multiply the geometry out and see if it goes beyond the end of the disk.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM