Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 1995 14:33:10 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLB Disk Controllers

>> Adaptec, Buslogic. Any possitive or negative comments on the drivers would
>> be welcome.
>>

>I have had problems with vlb cards running above 33 MHZ.  The effect appears
>like the loss of interrupts or extreme interrupt latency.  I have seen this
>especially bad on amd 486dx2/80 (vlb clk 40mhz) and 486dx2/100 (vlb clk 50mhz)
>.
>I suspect the problem would exist on 486dx50 as well.
>
>The effect seems to be very pronounced on vlb disk controller cards with
>other i/o on board.

You have to be carefull of your motherboard and videocard in any VLB
implementation and even more so if you go about 40MHz.  I've seen video
cards corrupt bus mastering transfers before and lots of motherboards that
don't work with VLB busmasters.  I've never experienced a problem on my
hardware, and those who have complained to me about the 2842 not working
correctly later discovered it was their video card, motherboard or a memory
problem.  There are also a lot of VLB "super I/O" cards out there that are
pure junk.  We aren't talking about IDE interfaces anyway.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM