Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 19:16:21 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

In message <199510161555.LAA07471@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:

>ASCII meets this criteria. ISO8859-1 also meets this criteria. There is
>not requirement that you use the most minimally compliant character set.
>I do not understand your insistence that the C locale be strictly ASCII
>and no more.

Well, do you see what POSIX work group means by "C" locale (attached
at the end of the message?)

>I claim that it would be useful in the C locale if the default char-
>type table were to be nominally populated for 8859-1, i.e. excluding
>the upper and lower designations.

Just wondering, why you even need such damaged table...
Some principles? :-)

>You claim that doing so will break Russian and Japanese users. I claim
>that these users won't be using the C locale anyway. The fact that your
>locale support is broken and the utility programs are broken is merely
>an argument that they should be fixed. :-)

Sigh....
They == Russian/Japanese/Any users with charset != 8859-1,
f.e. users with 8859-3.

1) They use _C_ locale for all not-setlocale-aware programs per POSIX:
default behaviout is setlocale(LC_ALL, "C") at startup.

2) And they use _NATIVE_ locale for all setlocale-aware programs
which calls setlocale(LC_ALL, "") f.e. in main().

Your propogating idea breaks case 1) (POSIX), i.e. breaks all
not-setlocale-aware programs because 8859-1 rules mixed up
with locale charset. I.e. 8859 treats native chars like
they was 8859-1 chars.

I cause that I see my native chars on the screen in strange places
and I can even enter some of my native chars wich can cause unknown
effects.

Please, look more carefully on what I try to say (I try to say
it in different ways already several times).

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -