Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 00:05:58 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        rcarter@geli.com (Russell L. Carter), jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New lmbench available (fwd)

I am a bit a lost here . What is the big deal with having a network
object server whose target objects are replicated in a network?

Oh, don't know there has been quite a number of papers, architectures,
and also CORBA comes to mind not to mentioned decnet's remote
distributed object architecture, etc...

	Cheers,
	Amancio

>>> Terry Lambert said:
 > > So here is a market opportunity:  how do you scale a bunch of
 > > httpd servers working in concert (maybe like timed?) so that when one
 > > goes down, the remainders elect a master and life goes on?
 >
 > #ifdef TERRY_IN_FUTURIST_MODE
 >
 > You connect to services instead of machines, of course, and the
 > underlying transport is permitted to load balance you off onto
 > another server.

Boy isn't this very similar to Novell's service schemes except that
I don't think that Novell provides for load balancing but then
again that is probably not to hard to implement if you can
agree on the metrics...