Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 16:46:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@racer.dkrz.de>
To:        archie@tribe.com
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0.5R hanging inexplicably...

> From: Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
>
> Mike Smith sez:
> > Archie Cobbs stands accused of saying:
> > > If I startup X, and then try to switch back to a text console, the screen
> > > goes blank and everything hangs.
> > >
> > > I've got vt0-vt5 as login windows, running X on vt6... this happens
> > > with the ET4000 X server, both versions 3.1.1 and 3.1.2.
> > >
> > > Could the ET4000 be involved somehow?
> >
> > The ET4000 (and particularly the W32 variants) XFree server is _very_fragile_.
> >
> > The cards themselves are no great shakes, and the behaviour of the server
> > leads me to _strongly_ discourage people from using them. (Especially given
> > how cheap S3-based cards are these days).
>
> The et4000/w32p server has been rock solid under Linux for over a year...
> just a data point...
>
> -Archie

> Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com

...and works for me since about as long _with FreeBSD_.  I use the
SVGA driver with a ET4000 card at work, and the W32 driver with a
ET4000/W32 at home (dunno if it's a W32, W32i, or W32p card).

The video cards that I have just say "Tseng", no other manufacturer is
apparent.  Maybe there are versions manufactured by Tseng itself?
Anyway, I don't see problems.  I'm using syscons, BTW.

Regards,
Georg-W. Koltermann, gwk@cray.com