Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 1995 21:37:01 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: growing X server processes

> I guess that it should be interesting to find out exactly what is the
> case or the profile that Kaleb mentioned in another posting.

I don't know the details about what they did. Perhaps David Dawes,
who I know follows this list, might elaborate; but I know that they're
in the midst of their beta, compounded by the holiday, so now might not
be the best time to get an answer.

I expect that it's simply the case that they noticed observed patterns in
the memory allocation profile, and they optimized the Xalloc allocator
to do better for the most common allocation scenarios. I'm not at liberty
to disclose their sources, you'll have to wait for them to release 3.1.3
to see what they did.

--

Kaleb