Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 03:16:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Phillip White <philw@megasoft.tic.ab.ca>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet packet sniffer.

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Phillip White stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > Can you be more specific about what it is that tcpdump doesn't do?
> > >
> > Sure..  From the way I see it function, it only shows packets not what is
> > in the packets.  Like if someone is on your machine entering information
> > at any prompt ie. telnet, ftp, bash, etc you actually see what they are
> > typing, typically in a line going down the screen because it is streaming.
> > Tcpdump just shows the whole packet and what type the packet is, ie.
> > netbeui, tcp etc.. and where it is going or coming from etc..
>
> So what you want isn't an Ethernet packet sniffer at all, but a tty
> watcher.  Look at the 'snp' device and the 'watch' command.

No, not at all.  I use the watch command though and even made a
suggestion towards it's functionality.

> Tcpdump will tell you (in exhaustive detail) exactly what's in a packet.
> Read the manpage and pay particular attention to the '-s' and '-x' options.
>
> As an example, 'tcpdump -vv -l -s 1600 -x' is pretty exhaustive.  You will
> want a fast nameserver for this to be useful, try adding '-n' if you
> have problems with lost packets.

I've tried this and it does not show everything.  On Solaris I can
actually watch the data being received from the news pull to INN, meaning
if I was fast enough (impossible) I could read the news as it comes
through the feed.  The same with people logging into our Livingston
portmaster, I can see that they are messing around with commands that
they have no access to cause I can see that they are attempting passwd
hacks cause I can see the passwds they are entering at the password:
prompt(normally not seen any other way) or that they are entering enable
commands etc that they have no right to access.  There is no watch
command for this hence, the need for a Solaris type "snoop" so I can sit
here and analize the data to a specific host and in raw format.
I'm not professed at analizing TCP packets so if there is a peticular
byte range to be watching so you see raw data receive (as said with being
able to see the data received in newsgroups) and can it be specified to
"tcpdump".  I hope I am being clear? :-)  I may be doing something wrong?
All I did with Solaris was (I believe) "snoop hostname" than it would say
"promiscuous mode" than off we go...
Phil...