Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 20:33:40 -0800
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu>, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recursive grep

> : > find /usr/local | xargs grep foo
> : and why do we need an extra pipe, either?
> :
> : 	find /usr/include -name \*f.h -exec grep foo {} /dev/null \;
>
> The extra pipe will fork/exec grep once for each 100k or so characters
> of command line args, while this will fork/exec grep for each file.
> Guess which one is likely to be faster :-).
>
> Warner

Oh, well anyhow _SC_ARG_MAX is set at 64k which I have found exceedingly
low.  How do you change this anyways?

I've written a rcs front end that execs a ci command with a bunch of
filenames buffered.  It has to split this in order to checkin something
like the emacs source tree, how annoying :)

-josh