Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 13:42:11 +0100
From:      Mats Lofkvist <mal@sophocles.algonet.se>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ntp stuff?

Well, I would not say I'm a ntp guru, but I do use it (at work synchronizing
an "internet unplugged" network to the local clock in a sun ipx and at home
synchronizing my pc to the nearest real ntp server I could find).

To make the xntpd daemon sync to a external server, I can't see why
----
server <ip-to-external-server> # this makes me a client of external server
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift       # not sure this is necessary, might be default
----
in /etc/ntp.conf wouldn't work. More than one "server" line is good for
redundancy. Basically the same in your client machines but with the
ip pointing to your gateway machine instead of the external server(s)
should also work. All of this is of course assuming your firewall is
letting the necessary packets through...

My home config:

----/etc/ntp.conf----
server 192.36.125.2          # sunic.sunet.se
server 194.68.128.19 prefer  # Stockholm-DGIX.sunet.se

driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

keys /etc/ntp.keys
requestkey 1
controlkey 1
----
----/etc/ntp.keys---- (-rw-------)
1 M xyzzy
----
----/etc/sysconfig---
# xntpd flags, or NO if you don't want to start the xntpd daemon
xntpdflags=

# this is inoperative unless xntpd is enabled; NO to disable
tickadjflags="-Aq"
----

(I also had to set TIMER_FREQ in my config file to make ntp not lose sync
after a few minutes due to too large drifts.)

      _
Mats Lofkvist
mal@algonet.se