Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 16:44:16 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another Pentium gcc patch, -D__FreeBSD__=2 -Dbsd4_4

In article <199602021439.HAA24937@rover.village.org> Warner Losh <imp@village.org> writes:
   If you want bsd4_4, then you can just as easily include:

   #ifdef HAVE_SYS_PARAMS
   #include <sys/params.h>
   #endif
   #ifdef BSD4_4
   #define bsd4_4
   #endif

   since params.h is the *STANDARD* bsd way of figuring out if you are
                                    ^^^
   running on a BSD system.
                ^^^

This is a chicken-before-egg problem.  To utilize this, you first need a
*STANDARD* way of determining if you are running on a BSD system.

   To date, I have never needed __FreeBSD__ as a define.  The BSD

Because you only use BSD systems.  Even though it might become as a
surprise to you, there are other widely-used Unix-originating operating
systems which are not BSD, and they do not have "BSD" or anything like that
in param.h.  Don't tell me use configure, its medicating cancer with
painkillers.  Apparenltly configure won't go away, but at least we should
do everything possible to make its work as simple as possible.

All this is completely broken, BSD systems should converge, not further
split up, as splitting up means disappearing into noise generated by Linux
and big commercial ones.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@clinet.fi  work +358-0-4375209 fax -4555276 home -8031121