Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 1996 02:11:26 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/lang/expect/scripts configure

> Considering the ugliness of the hack that is required to make these
> "evil" ports happy (did you see what I had to do to expect?), adding a
> private header or two (which are part of freely available sources
> anyway) to our /usr/local (we can even make a separate directory with
> a red flashing warning) is really not that bad.

Sorry, I really just can't agree.  I don't even feel that it's an
apples and apples comparison in the case of these two hacks; one is a
build hack which takes some extra CPU time and wastes disk space but
ultimately leaves /usr/local in the correct shape (e.g. it acheives
exactly the desired effect, just not efficiently) and the other is
blatant API pollution.  Those header files are simply not supposed to
be installed, were deliberately not installed for a reason, and will
result in even more abuse of the API by users who now don't even
necessarily *know* they're doing bad things because they'll see these
files sitting in /usr/local/include, where they're supposedly for
public consumption.  The interfaces in these includes are not
guaranteed to stay the same across even point revisions, and I can
tell you that John Ousterhout would scream if he knew we were even
discussing this as a possibility! :-)

I remain convinced: The current method is a bad hack, but your
suggestion would be genuinely evil and break lots of rules that would
truly get your various appendages whacked if you did it in a
commercial software environment.. :-)

I would suggest that the correct and proper direction from here is to
improve the efficiency of the hack, since it's producing the correct
results.  To start doing the wrong thing in order to go faster would
be a step backward.

					Jordan