Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 00:09:12 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using FreeBSD with POP at ISP

Wilko Bulte stands accused of saying:

> Maybe I should direct this to -questions but:

Possibly... 8)

> I'm setting up a network with the following components: 5x MS WFW3.11
> for Netscape client use, 5x Sun Sparcs for 'real' applics. One 386/40
> with FreeBSD 2.0.5R is used as a proxy server connecting the network
> to the outside world using dialup user-PPP on a 28K8 modem.
>
> If you think this is overloading the PPP link you are probably correct,
> but this is a low-budget technical youth club affair. And after the last
> patches to user PPP it really works remarkably well and not too slow even.
>
> Now the question: the ISP runs Win NT servers (yikes, I know). Email is
> normally handled using POP from the NT box to the ISP's client. As you
> can guess, having 10 different clients hanging off a local proxy is
> very non-typical for the ISP. What I need to do is making some sort
> of POP connection from the proxy machine to the ISP, getting the
> mail out and sendmailing it to the Suns and (probably??) POPing it
> further to the WFW PCs.
>
> Is this feasible at all or just plain bogus? And if it's feasible
> how to proceed?

(sorry for quoting everything; context...)

Put the Socks proxy server on the BSD box, and just connect the clients
directly to the NT machine via it.  Assuming you use Netscape for your
mail interface, it's SOCKS capable, and it takes lots of processing
load off your gateway.

This also means you can hide the client machines on a fakenet, and still
have "full" web access.

>  |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte             email: wilko@yedi.iaf.nl

]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "I seek PEZ!" - The Tick        [[