Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 15:35:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hsu@clinet.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD/OS 2.1

> In article <199602151844.NAA00492@etinc.com> dennis@etinc.com (dennis) writes:
>    I've finished installing the new release of BSD/OS....which by the way is rather
>    I'd like to benchmark it against freebsd and perhaps publish the results (if
>    they're
>    favorable, of  course )...can anyone point me at some good, portable, widely
>    accepted benchmark utilities. Obviously network-related stuff is of interest
>
> Allow 50-100 users to log in and use anything they want, including
> installing new software (non-root) and run it, and tell us how long the
> thing stays up.  For large site use, it is the one and only benchmark.

IMHO that is silly.  That is not a benchmark, in any way, shape, or form.
Users do not produce repeatable results.  This is fine as a stress test, a
reliability test, but it is not a benchmark.

A benchmark is taking a test and repeating it under controlled conditions on
controlled hardware.  Typically you try to retain as much similarity between
the variables as possible (i.e. FreeBSD vs. Linux, but both on the same
hardware platform).  If you do not do this, the results are meaningless
(i.e. FreeBSD vs. Linux, Linux on a P90 and FreeBSD on a 386sx/16).

The benchmark can be arbitrarily complex (i.e. run a Web server on a
router) as long as there is some useful conclusion to be drawn and the
benchmarks are run in a meaningful way.

For what it's worth, as often as I tend to have differences of opinions
with Dennis, I think it's a good thing that somebody is LOOKING at BSD/OS
and seeing what's going on.  I for one would be very interested in any
relative comparisons.  (Thanks in advance for any results, Dennis!)

Mind you, I'm not saying somebody shouldn't stress test it, I'm just saying
that that's not a benchmark at all..

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968