Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:14:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.netcom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web server locks up... but not quite. (?) (fwd)

> > > I've seen similar hangs occasionally under both 2.0.5R and 2.1.0R and one
> > > additional "thing" I've noticed is that processes that are completely
> > > in-core appear to keep running (i.e. I had a "vmstat 1" running for a few

Ah... I've seen something similar on some small memory (4M) machines I've
been trying to get running. I get lots of sig 11 (and sometimes
sig 4, illegal instruction, etc.) and thought it was hardware,
but swapping motherboards, cpu's, and memory didn't help.

Going from 4MB to 5MB reduces, but doesn't eliminate, the problems.

> > Is the 4 gig drive a Seagate barracuda?    (yes for me, bt946c)
> >
> > Do you run alias ip's for 'virtual web sites'?  (yes for me, a bunch)
> >
> > What ethernet card do you run on the box?       (3c509 isa for me)
> >
> > How large is your swap file?                   (256mb swap file)
> >
> > The reason I ask these questions is that other boxes running the same rev
> > of FreeBSD will not exhibit the problem at all.  I am trying to find the
> > common thread.

I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.0-R on a BEK-P405 PCI/ISA motherboard.
Chipset is ALI. On-board super I/O, WD Caviar 2850 (IDE), two NE2000
clone EtherNet cards, ISA VGA card (usually), also login prompt
enabled via on-board serial port. Sometimes booted diskless (in which
case there seems to be more random proc death, though it happens either way).
Swapfiles are big, at least 16Meg.

-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com