Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:43:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        phil@zipmail.co.uk
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSDi : Internet Gateway for Novell Networks

> One of these was a system called the BSDi Internet gateway for novell
> networks. it sells for $1595 for 5 users and comes with www/ftp etc,
> but the bit that caught my attention was the fact that it can be used
> for leased-line/dialup routing and (if the article is correct) no
> tcp/ip support is needed on the local n/w at all !!

Yep!  A few people tell me that Novell admins love this since it lets
them keep their networks "pure" - no icky TCP/IP frames on their
lovely little IPX networks (and, of course, the clients don't need to
run TCP/IP stacks).

I think it would definitely be a well-regarded feature for FreeBSD if
we supported TCP/IP encapsulation like this.  I don't know how much
work is involved, but..

					Jordan