Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 17:49:23 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco), bugs@freebsd.netcom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web server locks up... but not quite. (?) (fwd)

>Ah... I've seen something similar on some small memory (4M) machines I've
>been trying to get running. I get lots of sig 11 (and sometimes
>sig 4, illegal instruction, etc.) and thought it was hardware,
>but swapping motherboards, cpu's, and memory didn't help.
>
>Going from 4MB to 5MB reduces, but doesn't eliminate, the problems.

   It may still be hardware. If you're using IDE, some really cheap IDE
controllers have been known to cause problems. If your motherboards aren't
configured correctly for the right amount of wait states for RAM, etc,
then this can and will cause problems. The list goes on. I'm not saying for
certain that it's not a software bug (this WAS a problem in early FreeBSD
releases), but we do extensive pre-release testing (looking specifically for
this problem) on 4MB and 5MB machines and didn't/haven't seen the problem.

-DG

David Greenman