Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:53:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        pst@Shockwave.COM, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, nathan@netrail.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6

> One of the big problems with Francis' code is  that it does not include any
> cryptographic material, due to the stupidity of the french laws (we're more
> restrictive than the USA and that speaks a lot...).
That doesn't say how difficult it would be to plug in such a mudule however.

> > I think that someone should do an evaluation  of "which is better" before
> > taking the first  one.  (Actually, I  guess the criteria should be, which
> > is  the one the  other BSD's are taking.   BSDI appears to  be going with
> > NRL, and I'm not sure about NetBSD's).
There are 4 implimentations for BSDI if you include the WIDE project from
japan.

> NRL has been done on pure 4.4BSD I think whereas Francis' code runs on both
> NetBSD and FreeBSD 2.1.0.
If they have done the right thing, and discussed things, then I hope the
best ideas from each implimentation wil be taken from port to  port.
Francis' code is being used for the AIX implimentation..

I think it's early days to start saying which is better..

Matt, how did the IPv6 bakeoff go?

I'm betting that the Digital Unix version of IPv6 is going to be kept
under wraps...

julian