Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 1996 13:21:52 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        adam@veda.is
Cc:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: doc directory

 * > (1) Add "share/doc" to /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist so that the directory
 * >     is created by mtree
 *
 * Yes, this is what I was suggesting, and there seems to be agreement that
 * share/doc is preferable to plain doc. Please may I commit this now? :)

Yes, I think we've seen no objections.

 * Looks reasonable. Another good reason to keep it out of bsd.port.mk
 * is that ${DISTNAME} and ${PKGNAME} usually carry a version number,
 * but ${DOCDIR} could be something else entirely (for instance
 * without the version number, or simply

That's right, this can be anything that the port desires.

Actually, I think it's better to leave out the version number for most
cases.  If you have a version number in the directory name, when you
upgrade a port, you will have to change pkg/PLIST to reflect it, and I
can see people forgetting it (and me not noticing it because "make
package" will happily use the old docs!).

The exception of course is things like tcl/tk, where having multiple
versions of the same software makes sense.  Usually, the installation
of the new version will overwrite the binary/library etc., anyway, so
there is not much use in keeping a separate directory for old
documents....

Satoshi