Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:38:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960226-SNAP now on ftp.freebsd.org

> >> Don't forget /.profile, for the single-user shell.
>
> >/.profile is a hardlink to /root/.profile.
>
> Yuck.  I've never installed it.

It is very handy when booted single user as the root shell in that
case has a home directory of / instead of /root.  I am pretty sure
that was the reason that CSRG added this link when they moved root's
home directory from / to /root.

This also applies to /.cshrc -> /root/.cshrc (hard link) same reason,
only when you ask for the single user shell to be /bin/csh.

> The system-wide profile /etc/profile isn't installed.  It should be
> installed and contain only comments in it, like /etc/csh.login.

WHAT???:
SkyRsh# ls -lag /etc/prof*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  570 Mar 16 16:03 /etc/profile
SkyRsh# more !$
more /etc/prof*
# System-wide .profile file for sh(1).
# Uncomment this to give you the default 4.2 behavior, where disk
# information is shown in K-Blocks
# BLOCKSIZE=K; export BLOCKSIZE
# Uncomment next line if you want to setup your 8-bit locale at program
# startup automatically
# See also rc and csh.login
# ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE=; export ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE
# Uncomment next line to activate russian locale
# LANG=ru_SU.KOI8-R; export LANG
# Uncomment next line to activate italian locale
# LANG=it_IT.ISO_8859-1; export LANG
# For full locales list check /usr/share/locale/*
SkyRsh#

Looks installed to me, and infact only contains comments.

> Perhaps something like /etc/csh.cshrc should be implemented using
> $ENV.

Oh, you mean it is not used by /bin/sh???