Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 16:44:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

> then things that you selected aren't the issue. But if you do network
> testing with a card that has a particularly bad LINUX driver and a
> very good FreeBSD driver, then the test is only valid for that one
> particular card. The Linux people could do the same test with a
> very good Linux driver and a buggy FreeBSD driver and get
> opposite results. So what have you shown?
>
> For example BSDI with an Adaptec SCSI and an NE2000 card is not
> a very good system, but with a buslogic VLB or EISA card (they've done
> a lot of work with these cards) and an SMC ethernet they're very good.

Which is why it is important to list all hardware specifications, and to
get a wide variety of benchmark results.  Yes, GenericOS-1 may work well
with cardx, where GenericOS-2 does not, but if GenericOS-2 works well with
10 different other cards which are more common, then I'd say genericOS-2
has the advantage.  The only way to find this is by getting many results.

Why don't we come up with a 'form' which is filled out by a person
performing a benchmark, which includes everything from I/O cards to seek
times on drives (as well as the specific kernel version/config for each
OS you benchmark on that hardware).  From there, take the information from
various benchmarks (such as lmbench) and collect them into a database.

We should also get somebody to grab the linux FAQ for easy install
instructions..

I can come up with a web page to handle submitting benchmarks if somebody
can do something with the information (and if we can come up with a list
of generic items to consider in a hardware config (i.e. i/o cards, drive
specs, chipsets, etc).

-Brandon Gillespie-

BTW, brainstorming on specing hardware, have brand, model and other specs
for all primary hardware pieces.  Those would be ... processor, hard
drive (spec the controller with each drive), i/o (other?), network, video,
...?