Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:29:59 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is stable supposed to compile right now?

> On my 2.1-RELEASE system, I ...
>
> sup'ed the cvs tree.  did a cvs checkout -r RELENG_2_1_0.
> I did a make install in /usr/src/include and /usr/src/share.

You have to do a 'make world'.  Make install in /usr/src/includes
doesn't pick up enough of the include file and other dependencies to do
the right thing.

> Here's the errors I get from the second run of make -k in /usr/src:
>
> ===> lib/libc
> "Makefile", line 19: Could not find /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/Makefile.inc
> Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> *** Error code 1 (continuing)

That file exists on my -stable box.

> ===> gnu/usr.bin/cvs/cvs
> cc -O -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/cvs/../lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -c client.c
> client.c: In function `update_entries':
> client.c:1098: storage size of `context' isn't known
> *** Error code 1 (continuing)
> cc -O -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/cvs/../lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -c update.c
> update.c: In function `patch_file':
> update.c:1228: storage size of `context' isn't known
> *** Error code 1 (continuing)
> `all' not remade because of errors.

This is because you didn't use a make world (more specifically, 'make
includes' which re-does *all* of the necessary includes).

[ The others are related to not doing a make world. ]

> The other problem that I have is that the new ipfw doesn't appear to
> work.   Since there is now a default rule to drop all packets, a
> non-functional ipfw is a show-stopper.

That is a function of the new IPFW.  You *must* be on the console the
first time you use it, OR you must add some default rules immediately
after the network is configured to allow certain packets in.

Nate