Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:06:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Tom W. Cutter" <twcutter@mowgli.wr.usgs.gov>
To:        mmead@Glock.COM (matthew c. mead)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nv and quickcam

> > On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, matthew c. mead wrote:
>
>  I have -current up, but I haven't messed with the in
> kernel quickcam driver.  I was thinking about trying to do so,
> but I don't know if replacement qcam programs etc. exist yet, and
> I don't have the time lately...

I've been working with the kernel driver using it with
vic.  I collected Paul Traina's  kernel driver source from:
ftp://ftp.shockwave.com/pub/users/pst/qcamdriver/

The vic qcam module is a work in progress for me. I've been able to get
about 8 fps at 160x120 and about 3 fps at 320x240 with my 486.
I've been working from Peter Grehan's grabber-qcam.cc code modifying
it to use the kernel driver.   What I've got is located via anon-ftp:
s101dcascr.wr.usgs.gov in a file pub/grabber-qcam.cc.gz.

Adding h.261 encoding and perhaps h.263 encoding is something
I've been wanting to do with vic and the grabber module .  The
h.263 <http://www.nta.no/brukere/DVC/>; encoding would allow video
streams at bitrates below 28.8kbit/sec.

Problems I had with the driver:

1) The driver was not allocating the buffer memory properly. I was getting
a "cannot allocate memory error" when opening the device to read.

I modifed the kernels file qcam.c:
        qs->buffer_end = qs->buffer = malloc(QC_MAXFRAMEBUFSIZE, M_DEVBUF,
						     M_NOWAIT);
Changing the M_NOWAIT option of malloc to  M_WAITOK.  ^^^^^^^^
At Paul's suggestion.

2) I needed to create the device file by doing a mknod qcam0 c 73 0 in
the /dev directory after the kernel was made.

3) The auto probe code in the driver could not find the QuickCam.
I put the following line in the kernel conf file:
device         qcam0    at isa? port 0x278 tty flags 1
The flag 1 worked.

- Tom Cutter