Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 1996 11:45:29 PDT
From:      Marc Frajola <marc@dev.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Curious behavioral change for CD-ROM from 2.1.0-RELEASE to STABLE

> > (aha0:3:0): "PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-4XCE 1.00" type 5 removable SCSI 2
> > cd0(aha0:3:0): CD-ROM
> > cd0(aha0:3:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
> > can't get the size
>
> >     When I mount /cdrom, it still mounts OK, I'm just curious why it no
> > longer reports that a CD is there and then reports the size.
>
> Many drives are slow in coming up.  Things get even worse if the
> medium is a CD-R.  Some drives report ``Logical unit is in the process
> of becoming ready'', but only few.  You often have to wait up to 5
> seconds to get it ready.  I think this is not worth the while, the
> drive will surely be ready before any attempt to mount it will happen.
> --
> cheers, J"org

Joerg,

    Thanks very much for pointing out the possible effect of delay
here. I figured it may have something to do with the problem, but
figured going to a delay of 5 seconds would be sufficient. I may try
going back to 15 just to satisfy my curiosity (if I do, I will send an
update on what happens to you).

    I once dreamed about having UNIX that ran on inexpensive hardware
where I could have full source. Nice to have all of that PLUS high
performance. The installation on 2.1 is GREATLY improved over the 1.x
install procedure as well.

    You guys have been able to do some things that a multitude of
high-paid engineers at commercial UNIX companies have seemingly not
been able to do. This is *REALLY* *KEWL*. Keep up the good work!

...Marc...
--
Marc Frajola, marc@dev.com