Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:41:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rob Mallory <rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        langfod@dihelix.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pgcc kernel compiles automated

>    Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:29:13 -1000 (HST)
>    From: "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
>
>    Are you actually using "-mpentium"?  IF not I am not sure that using pgcc
>    actually has an advantage :)

in the Makefile after running ./configure pentium-unknown-freebsd2.2
you should notice "TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT=4" at the top.
in other words, -mpentium is always on. you should notice a difference
if you compile pgcc with TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT=2 (486) or ~=0, like freebsd
does, you might notice a difference with the math flags;)

...I'm still unhappy that pgcc made it into "ports/lang"...
On my system, it has been, and (looks for some time) will remain
in my /ports/devel subdir.

try the binaries on ftp://tns.csusb.edu/pub/unix/pentium/xv and mpeg_play.

they might be a little old, but do some "benchmarks" on them against
the latest pgcc compiled mpeg_play and xv. :)

In my opinion, (John,David,and Bruce will most likely agree)
pgcc compiled kernels are very dangerous to say the least.
<<in other words, Please move pgcc into /ports/devel !!>>
                                          -Rob Mallory [rmallory@csusb.edu]