Date:      Mon, 6 May 96 15:51:29 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        dgy@rtd.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1R tex port

 > Greetings!
 >    Could someone clarify the "problem" with the subdirectory
 > searching (apparently recursive search?) reported in the
 > 2.1R tex port?  I'd like to know if I should spend time fixing
 > it?  Or if it's not worth the trouble?  Or, if it's not a "real"
 > problem and can be worked around in other ways (e.g., by restructuring
 > the file hierarchy)?  JMZ, what say you?
 >     Thanx!
 > --don

Look at ftp://ftp.cs.umb.edu/pub/tex/web2c.kpathsea-2.6.help for a
detailed explanation on how to fix the problem. The current
subdirectory searching is not completely broken, but the default path
(/usr/local/lib/texmf/tex//) did not work. (A path like
/usr/local/lib/texmf//tex/ works though).
The best way to avoid problems is to not use this feature and to add
your new input files in /usr/local/lib/texmf/tex/ or to set the TeX
environment variables to the list of directories to be searched.

Jean-Marc
 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr