Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 01:07:28 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Subject:   Re: /stand/ee

Reference:
> From: "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
> All I can do for now is suggest a change in
> /root/.cshrc:
>
> if ( -x /usr/bin/vi ) then
>    setenv       EDITOR  vi
> else
>    setenv       EDITOR /stand/ee
> fi

Nice idea, (except ee not /stand/ee).

I offered to port a mini-vi-clone (elvis or equivalent), when ee was forced
in, but the offer was rejected, & i've no time now (I'm fighting hardware).
Though ee is smaller than vi:
	strip /usr/bin/ee
	-r-xr-xr-x  2 bin  bin  61440 May 13 05:45 /usr/bin/ee
	/usr/bin/ee: FreeBSD/i386 demand paged dynamically linked executable
it's not smaller than some vi clones I've ported years ago.

Someone argued a rank newbie might prefer ee :
	But it says both `Unix' & `4.4 BSD-Lite'  on the CDROM label,
	our BSD Unix clone OS should by default use a standard BSD VI clone,
	not non standard tools. (Not to denigrate other editors,
	it's nice to see 'em in ports/ )

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/