Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 20:29:56 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, jkh@time.cdrom.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mega-Commit cleanups

#define quoting(Nate Williams)
// > // OK.  Do you want to bring in 'newsyslog(8)' into -stable, or roll back
// > // the changes which require them?
// >
// >   May you please explain me what's the problem with newsyslog ?  I'm
// > using 2.1.0R and brought in the newsyslog from -current.  It's working
// > perfectly for my needs.
//
// Because it's by definition 'new' software that's un-necessary.  It

Not so unnecessary.  I prefer a central configuration for log file
rotating, based not only on date/time, but also on size, than using
crontab script files to do this manually.

NetBSD has been using it at least since version 1.0 and I have never
heard of any problem.  Before integrating the sources from current I
checked the differences in source from the NetBSD version and it's
essencially the same.

// *could* (doubtful) have some bug in it or security flaw that causes the

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I cannot see what's dangerous in
newsyslog.

// system to be less -stable, so it stays out of stable until someone is
// willing to bring it in and stand in the line of fire.
//
// I'm not willing to do that, but if I got Jordan's permission I wouldn't
// have been responsible for anything bad that occurred because of it. :)

Well, this is a problem.  I'm not (yet) in the position to assume such
responsibility...

// Nate

					Jonny

--