Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:46:10 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        darrenr@cyber.com.au, stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Need help with DDB (IPfilter 3.0.4, logging panices FreeBSD)

Hello,

# bcopy (and all other functions written in assembler) doesn't set up the
# frame pointer, so stack traces in it don't work right.  Usually, the
# previous function's args are shown as bcopy's args and the previous
# function's name isn't shown.  They are easy to see by examining the
# stack (x/x $esp,10).

	Oh, thanks. Didn't know this.

# >The kernel has "options DDB", no compiler optimization,
#
# Not even the default -O?

	Yes, I threw it away, being afraid to get even more strange
	results from the debugger.  Today CPUs _are_ fast enough. :)

# >config(8)  had '-g' switch (note: linkage of the kernel failed with this
# >switch combo; ld didn't find _memcmp symbol, why? I added libc.a to the
#
# memcmp is a C library function that isn't available in the kernel.

	I guess that with '-g' present gcc doesn't put an inline
	equivalent of it in the resulting code?

		Thanks! (I'll probably try it once more, but I hope
		I localized the erroneous code already. Stupid me --
		why didn't I realize that "block in log body ..."
		never actually logged "body" for me? :(

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
					Frank's Management Rule #1.