Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 21:19:27 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bit 7 in filenames

J Wunsch wrote:

> As Bruce Evans wrote:
>
> > <sys/unistd.h> falsely advertises that _POSIX_NO_TRUNC is 1 (no-trunc for
> > _all_ supported file systems) and man pages misspell
> > pathconf("/mountpoint", _PC_NAME_MAX) as 255.
>
> msdosfs can hardly count as a ``supported file system''. >:-)

I raised this in -questions the other day, and this may be a good
opportunity to get it into -hackers:

As there has been some interest expressed in getting the msdosfs
working (better) immediately, I'm going to be spending time over
the next two weeks looking at this.

What I have in mind is a series of fixes to correct the most serious
problems: mostly those that actually result in corruption to the
DOS FS or ffs.

This is really intended just as a stop-gap measure, as the fundamental
design of the msdosfs is seriously broken in all sorts of ways.

Most of the code for the new msdosfs (now `vfatfs') is complete,
but -- given the low level of general interest in/knowledge about
the FAT/VFAT filesystem on FreeBSD -- there really doesn't seem
much point in getting this into current until the very late stages
of beta testing.

All this is mostly FYI, but also to encourage anyone interested in
the msdosfs quick fix to sign up and check it out.

--
Robert Nordier