Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:58:11 +0100
From:      Colman Reilly <careilly@naxos.internet-ireland.ie>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com Etherlink III PCI

     jnoetzel@intermind.com said:

     > Is the above card, the 3com Etherlink III PCI supported under
     > -stable? I couldnt find an entry when I looked....

     As far as I can tell no.  I back-ported the -current driver to
     2.1, and got the card working well enough to answer pings and
     other simple traffic, but it wouldn't do NFS or other stuff.
     I havn't had a chance to play with the driver.

     I'm told both the driver and the card are buggy.

Hmm. Well's here my experience with them:

I reported a few weeks ago really strange problems - 30kbps on the
Etherlink III when downloading from UNIX box. Then the problem got stranger.

My upload times where closer to 3Mbps. Uh?

Looks like the version of the card I have and the driver just don't get on
at all. So I ordered SMC cards and replaced the whole lot. They work just
lovely under Windows 95, and the SMC cards give me up to 9MB throughput.
<shrug>

My diagnosis is that the interupt for outgoing data is never caught, and the
timeout code has to expire before the next packet happens. There are no
interupt or other conflicts visible anywhere. Just looks like the driver and
the card don't get on.

The Etherlink III Pci Combo is a 3c590C revision B.

Colman