Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 21:33:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@spase.nl>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SGML docs.

[moved from hackers to doc]

freebsd-doc@freebsd.org is an appropriate forum.

> Could somebody please point me where I can find some documentation on SGML.
> I tried using it, but even including a picture in a document is impossible
> without some docs on SGML. A sample document with pictures/crossreferences
> and references to other sgml/html docs would be very welcome.

Things are on the verge of changing, so I wouldn't invest too
much time in figuring out the system currently in place.

In the current version, there is no general image handling
currently, although you can include encapsulated postscript that
comes out okay in LaTeX.

Cross references are fairly simple.  Somewhere you have:

  <label id="foo">

and somewhere else you have

  <ref id="foo" name="see foo for more information">

The only way to link to a separate document is through a URL:

  <url url="foo.html" name="See foo for more information">

Alternatively, use the <htmlurl> tag which has the same
attributes but only prints name in non-html documents.  This is
obviously pretty clunky since URLs are a pretty clunky way to
make hypertext.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================