Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 14:51:01 -0700
From:      bmah@cs.berkeley.edu (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frame relay and ATM support: virtual interface per vpi?

Mark Tinguely writes:
> I guess I am confused to what scope this VC and address is to be associated.
> I assumed this was talking about IP over FR/ATM.

Well, I was thinking about running IP over ATM, and that the space of
VCIDs includes all VCs at a single end system (in the same way that
port numbers are for TCP or UDP).  I'm not sure what address you're
thinking about.

> It does not make any sense that another local native ATM application to need
> to do a VC/address lookup. As I understand things (hidden disclaimer) that
> it was up to the application to manage interleaving of messages down a
> particular VC, so we would not arbitrarilly place information from different
> appications down a VC. In a simular thread, is there a generic way to access
> native ATM services like the IP inetd?

Now for native ATM applications, you're absolutely right...the
application has exclusive use of the VC and it alone controls
multiplexing of cells (or AAL frames or whatever) down its VC(s).

I don't know off-hand what the analog is for inetd.  On XUNET II
(experimental ATM WAN I worked on), when you wanted a VC to someone
else, you passed the signalling software a string that said what
service you wanted to connect to on the remote side.  Of course this
was pre-ATM Forum, so, well...standards?  What standards?

Bruce.