Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:22:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Cisco 2503i price

> >I show that to be the wholesale price for the KNE40T (TP only), I
> >can see $56.00 retail if you buy in 20 packs at a time.
> >
> How can a 20-pack be retail?

It is ``retail'' if you are the end user purchaser, ie, if your not buying
the product to resell it to some one else that would qualify as a retail
sale.

If sales taxes applies in the state then either sales taxes has to be
collected, or use tax payed at the end of the year by the end user,
that would be retail.

> whats the definition of wholesale these days?

Purchases from manufacturer or distributor and sold to resellers/VAR's/etc.

Most distributors will not even talk to you unless your in the business
of reselling and can produce a state resellers license.  Large corporations
tend to bend these rules pretty badly, they are not in the business of
reselling computers, but because the do other forms of ``reselling'' they
slip it past the wholesaler, and often even lie on the account application.

Manufactures won't deal with you unless you can promise them millions of
dollars in annual purchases (ASUS won't sell me motherboards unless I buy 500
of them/month, Miro won't sell me video cards unless I buy them 520 at
a time, etc, etc.)

There are like 5 or 6 offical ``wholesalers/distributors'' of Quantum disks,
anyone else is either buying back door units from an OEM who has an overrun
(known as the ``grey market''), or they are buying them from these 5 or 6
places.

> I pay the same for 1 as I pay for  50. (maybe I get a dollar).
> there is no "wholesale" in the PC parts business if you know where to go.

That statement is incorrect.  I'll tell you where to go, go try to buy
motherboards from ASUS, or CPU chips from Intel/Wyle/Hamilton Avenet,
they won't even deal with you unless you want to buy 500 to 1000 of them.
THATS wholesale buying.

Sure ASI and Supercom and all the other distributors will sell you 1 or
50 at the same price, and I'll beat you that price is more than I or any
other ``real'' PC reseller pays for the same product from the same source,
unless your buying quantity day in and day out you won't ever see real
wholesale pricing.

If your not getting price breaks at qty 50, your not negotiating prices
very well.  On the KNE50T for example, qty one cost for me would be $55.00,
if I buy 20 of them it would be $47.00, a wee bit more than your ``dollar''.
If I where reselling these to you the price delta would be similiar, I pass
on my volume purchase savings to my clients just like everyone else does.