Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 1996 12:50:12 +0200
From:      Sander Temme <sander@chicago.xs4all.nl>
To:        "Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica" <ism.com.br!compland@chicago.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd.org!freebsd-isp@chicago.xs4all.nl
Subject:   Re: Software and Dial-Up Networking

Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica wrote:
<..>
> >Also, I have a lot of users logging in with Dial-up networking, and
> >currently we have to have them bring up a terminal window after dialing
> >so they can login manually and then hit F7 to continue.
>
> Go in the properties of the dial-up icon you create. Click in configure,
> just under the modem name. Go in options and DO NOT mark the settings:
> "Show a terminal window before dialling" and "Show a terminal window after
> dialling" . This will solve the problem.

Only if your terminal server does PAP or CHAP authentication. If it
doesn't, you need a script to log in.

On the Windows 95 CD, look in ADMIN\APPTOOLS\DSCRIPT. There, in
SCRIPT.DOC, you'll find the language reference to the Dial-up Scripting
tool. You can install the dial-up scripting tool on your Win95 box by
right-clicking RNAPLUS.INF et cetera. The Dialup scripting tool shows
up under Accessories in your Apple- (sorry, Start-) menu and allows you
to connect a script file to any dialup connections on your PC. A typical
script would be:

proc main
Waitfor "ogin:"
; $USERID and $PASSWORD escapes take infor from Connect to... window
Transmit $USERID
Transmit "^M"
Waitfor "assword:"
Transmit $PASSWORD
Transmit "^M"
endproc

WARNING!
The company I work for, which shall remain unnamed as to protect the
innocent, has chosen to use the dialup scripting tool for logging in.
This means the customers (all thumbs & no brain) have to manually
install the tool on their computers and associate the script. This has
caused the support dept. (me and my friends) no end of grief. Most of my
problems arise because the dialup scripting tool is either not installed
right or does not function right.

Don't do it. Have your terminal servers speak PAP or CHAP. Both Windows
95 and FreePPP 2.5 (Mac) can talk CHAP, and you can leave the login
prompt in for whoever uses anything else.

Sander

--
Sander the Sybersurfer                        sander@chicago.xs4all.nl