Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 1996 12:09:47 CDT
From:      Soren Dayton <csdayton@midway.uchicago.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Subject:   Re: Automatic ports Makefile generator?

> : OK - generating Makefile
> : OK - making directories
> : OK - making checksum
>
> Need to have automatic generation of patches as well :-)

 This is what I am concerned about.  Patches seem to be applied in
 blocks that do not necessarily map nicely onto the files that they change.

 FOr example, there might be one diff that just gzips the manpages in
the Makefile.  Until the world converts to BSD 4.4 make, this is going
to be a conceptually different diff than the one that prevents the core
dump due to something else.  Generating the diffs (patch-aa!) would just
be wrong.  This requires much more cleverness I think

> : OK - done!
> :[...]
> : I could come up with a proof of concept in a few days, if anyone
> : is interested.
>
> Yes.  I'd be keen on trying it out!

will it generate the list of files?  That is the most frustrating thing
for me for big packages.  something that reads the make output and
figures out where the files went would be marvelous.

Soren