Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:55:04 -0700
From:      Eric Blood <eblood@winky.reno.nv.us>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR825 problem

In message <199608212028.WAA07186@x14.mi.uni-koeln.de>you write:
>Eric Blood writes:
>I assume that your CD-ROM drive is on SCSI ID 2 ?
>
>Seems that some time-out occured. The error code
>indicates that the NCR chip's internal processor
>was interrupted (0x90 == DMA Fifo Empty + Abort)
>by the host CPU.
>
>It seems the NCR chip was waiting for the drive
>to complete some command, but it took too long
>and a time expired.

This is  what I always get at startup:

(ncr0:2:0): "TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-3701TA 3205" type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0(ncr0:2:0): CD-ROM
cd0(ncr0:2:0): 225ns (4 Mb/sec) offset 8.

cd0(ncr0:2:0): NOT READY asc:4,1
cd0(ncr0:2:0):  Logical unit is in process of becoming ready
can't get the size

>Seems the devices at SCSI ID 0 and 1 recovered
>and are back to normal again. What is the transfer
>mode of device with ID 2 ?

With the installation boot disk, I believe it said asynchronous.

>Guess your CD-ROM takes too long to complete self-test.
>What model is it ?

TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-3701TA 3205

>Hmm, might it have been caused by a cold boot at the
>time you observed the aborted command, while the later
>system start-up was a warm boot with all devices spun
>up and ready ?

There has been a combination of both warm and cold
for both the default and custom kernel.

>Regards, STefan

Let me know if there are any other tests I can perform.

Eric V. Blood
eblood@cs.unr.edu, http://www.cs.unr.edu/~eblood
eblood@winky.reno.nv.us