Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 15:52:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, nate@mt.sri.com, michaelv@mindbender.serv.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

> > Phahff.  Screw POSIX compliancy if it's an optional brokenness and it makes
> > life better.  DG has mentioned that it's a real problem for him on wcarchive
> > in the past, too...  and there are some of us who understand the need for
> > standards compliance but also appreciate that there are times that the rules
> > can be safely bent.  :-)
>
> UnionFS would be a *really* good solution in this case.  You'd allow
> someone to have 'read/write' priviledges to the FS (inn, maintainers,
> etc..), but then re-mount it somewhere else read-only, thus disabling
> ATIME writes and only allowing read-only FS's.

I don't know about UnionFS...  but in the name of thoroughness let me go
build a kernel..

Damn.  Instant crash.

The comments in LINT do mention that it is buggy.

> The best of both worlds.  Otherwise, I think if you added a flag to the
> FS to disable ATIME updates for specific filesystems you might get DG to
> add it. (hint hint! ;)

We discussed it in the past, both DG and I have come up with implementations
that we were not happy with for one reason or another (me, my solution was
probably naive because I have zippo familiarity with FFS internals, DG's
solution probably had technical correctness on it's side but for some reason
didn't work in all cases, or something like that).

... JG