Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:37:35 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Lars Koeller <Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
Cc:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE, wjw@IAEhv.nl (Willem Jan Withagen), scsi@freebsd.org, admin@IAEhv.nl
Subject:   Re: SCSI disks

[ FreeBSD-hardware removed from the reply list. ]

> > Willem Jan Withagen writes:
>
> >  > Long agood I tested the quantum with an NCR 53810 and an Adaptec 1542B
> >  > and in both case it did not seem to work. Now things might have changed,
>
>       Perhaps  it's  the same  phenomena  I have  with the  Quantum and the
>    Adaptec 1742 EISA SCSI controller. Every time the  disc reads out of the
>    cache, the response is so quick  that a lot  of controllers aren't ready
>    to receive the first bytes.  As  a matter of  fact the whole SCSI-bus is

     The original poster had problems with an NCR-based controller, and
so the "too fast Quantum" problem probably isn't the cause.  People are
using Atlas drives with NCR-based controllers without any problems (me,
for one).

     I think it's more likely that the original poster was using a buggy
release of FreeBSD (I think he mentioned 2.0).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.