Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:59:44 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
Cc:        james@nexis.net (James FitzGibbon), mark@grondar.za, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feedback on CGI programs wanted.

> Lets take for example news system: all varions things (inn, cnews, etc)
> uses the same /var/news directory in ports. The same thing is true
> about various httpd too: they all must use the same /usr/local/www
> thing (at least at symlink level). So /usr/local/www/cgi-bin is CGI final
> place for all possible and future httpd ports. If you use your own
> httpd (not from port), it is your task to make it compatible with
> ports things.

I agree.  I hate having to play archeologist when looking for log
files, and having everything from news to the W3 server dump things
properly into /var/log really does make the administrator's job
easier, especially if he didn't set the machine up in the first place
(it's actually rare when you can set up your own system from scratch
at any large company - usually you get to inheirit someone else's mess :)

					Jordan