Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 07:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@nike.efn.org>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD without console

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, John Hay wrote:

> > > I've been able to use FreeBSD sucessfully even after having removed the
> > > video card and disabling the BIOS check for it.  FSD probably just had no
> > > idea the video was missing although console data was still being sent to
> > > this 'screen'.
> >
> > I've come across a problem.... when I run without a video card and run
> > comconsole...  it likes to panic when sc0 is enabled.. is this normal?
> > (oh and the panics just srcoll right off the screen.. if you would like I
> > could log them...)  just wondering.. thanks for all the help..
> >

> I have also found this. My solution is to mod the sc device probe to
> fail if the keyboard is not found. This will probably not work on all
> motherboard/keyboard controllers.

I think my keyboard controller is messed as I have the force the boot
blocks to be comconsole or they won't be...  I just disable sc0 and have
the boot blocks compiled with FORCE_COMCONSOLE...

> I actually think the sc device should probe to see if there is a screen
> controller and fail the probe if it can't find one. At the moment it
> will never fail the probe.

ahh... that would be a problem...  oh well...  it does work though :)
TTYL..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)