Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 22:28:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: undocumented kernel priority changing

> >Hmm, I actually like the automatic renicing when programs such as vi and
> >pine run away with the CPU when their tty disappears. The machine is
> >still usable interactively.
>
>    As I've already said, it's not the 'renicing' that makes the machine
> continue to be usable interactively, but rather the other parts of the
> dynamic scheduling algorithm. Removing the 'renicing' should have little
> or no affect on the problems you've mentioned.
>    I should also point out that run-away pine processes are caused by bugs in
> pine and should be fixed, not smoothed over with some kernel hacks.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

That depends.

BSDI had a habit of not delivering a SIGHUP to the process when the
control terminal was de-allocated (ie: a "dirty" close of a telnet
connection).

FreeBSD doesn't seem to do this in the testing that we've run here.  Or at
least, if it does, its nowhere near as frequent.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!