Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 03:16:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/xv Makefile

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * normally (and even if you're working on a custom port you should be
>  * doing it elsewhere than in /usr/ports), I'd say we should err on the
>
> Well, just to let you know, I always work in ${PORTSDIR} (so I can
> easily cvs diff and stuff) when I'm fixing ports, and it has been
> quite convenient.  But I'll admit the chance of another port's "make
> clean" blowing my port away is pretty slim....

But it doesn't protect you from situations, like:

"Captain, I think we are too low on space for the new XFree86
build, so we have to do a ( cd /usr/ports; make clean) ...."

And I think your special case is not the default for 99% of
the FreeBSD users.

What about the following idea ... you could do a local wrapper
around that new make clean, that we discuss, to protect your
work on your machine.

Many users will be happy, that make clean does his job more
thoroughly and you are on the save side...

Or another idea ... I hear Satoshi arguing "but I don't want
a non standard bsd.port.mk" ... and he is right...

Couldn't we make a new environment variable for make in /etc/make.conf,
so that people with similar interests like Satoshi could easily switch,
if they like a thorough 'make clean' in /usr/ports or not ?!

Compromise ;)

	Andreas ///

andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de
pgp p-key  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html  >>> powered by <<<
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz  >>>    FreeBSD <<<