Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:57:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, jhs@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, serious@freebsd.org, commercial@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

> > I specifically referenced IP addresses in my discussion because:
>
> Neither IP address or ethernet address will work, because of all of the
> previous reasons, plus some that haven't been discussed.  If I'm a
> mobile user, don't punish me for having the ability to be flexible.

The only "punishment" is that you can't take all of the site licenses
to New Jersey with you when you take your laptop on vacation.

> Basically, there is no good solution.  My opinion of the matter is to
> make it a 'local' file that is hard to hack, and then someone hide it's
> location in the FS (inode #????) so that if you copy it to another
> machine it won't work.

Unless they use dump/restore.

> My opinion is that the software should work on *this* disk, and that
> everything else is subject to change. :)

You simply can not uniquely identify PC hardware, other than drawing
an arbitrary line at a configuration value that is not very easy or
convenient to change, and which is typically not allowed to be duplicated
on multiple machines.

Dongles (the only real soloution being a hardware soloution) are simply
too damn intrusive to be an acceptable soloution.  Anyone who is arguing
against a software only soloution is either arguing *for* dongles (an
unrealistic argument) or *for* the elimination of licensing (another
unrealistic argument).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---