Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:52:29 +0900 (JST)
From:      Naoki Hamada <nao@sbl.cl.nec.co.jp>
To:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new if_vx driver in incoming on freefal

Guido wrote:
>The reasonI changed it is because the value passed to it is set into bits
>2 and higher of the register. This has the effect of multiplying by four.
>In order to get the correct value in, you thus shoul firts devide it
>by four. This is true for every threshold register (with the 3c59x cards).
>Applying this change to the old driver still doesn't do the job for me.
>(if you have the spec for the 3c59x, look at page 2-2, Large Packet Support,
>and on page 4-12, SetTxAvilableThresh)

Thanks. I have done a brief experiment, which proved that your are
absolutely right.

>Can't you take my driver and extend it? Then we have a driver that looks far
>more like the {Net,Open}BSD one which has some straightforward advatages.

Sure. I am also planning to make it drive EISA adapters (3C592, 3C597).

>After rereading this I don't think I understand what you mean with
>selecting the right connector. Could you tell em what you mean?

Your new vx driver do not work properly when ifconfig'ed with
link[012] options, and what is worse, the fast ethernet connector of a
3C595 adapter is completely ignored.

-nao