Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 13:15:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

> code
> is
> > > I like this idea as well. Simple and easy, for all levels of expertis=
> e..
> > > 2 votes!
> > Me too!  Three!
>
> OK, I get the drift :) I'll look into doing it that way. It might be
> problematic to get at the filesystem sy early in the game though...

Sorry if this has already been suggested (I did not read the initial
postings).
how about this: build a simple utility which allows the splash page (and
possibly its loader code, to be able to deal with different graphics
formats) to be appended/removed from /kernel:

	splashon kernel_file picture_file
	splashoff kernel_file

this way you don't need filesystem access, since the boot code is doing
that for you.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/